How to Prevent Mold from Propagating in Your Home

Whether you have allergic reactions to mold or not, its effect on your eyes, skin, nose and throat can be surprisingly strong. Mold in our homes is something more than just dark or colored spots on ceilings, in damp corners of bathrooms, on shower curtains under windowsills. In some cases, the effect of fungi can cause allergic reactions, in others – something more serious like asthma.

Where It Can Live

Mold On WallMold can affect almost everything. Any surface is suitable for its life if there is some organic material that decays and can be eaten by growing colonies. Still, if we can just throw away spoiled food products, we cannot throw away whole rooms affected by mold. Such places as bathrooms are often attacked by large colonies of mold. This does not mean that owners of the house are inaccurate or live in dirt. This means that their bathrooms are not ventilated properly or are too damp and warm. Mold is like bacteria and viruses today. Just like the latter get tolerant to antibiotics, mold gets resistant to all the newest means people use to get rid of it. So, if you see some suspicious spots in your bathroom, do not hurry to the nearest department store. They just can have no means that will cope with your own type of mold. You should better get in touch with some New Mexico, Colorado or San Francisco mold testing services. These specialists will at least know which type of mold has attacked your bathroom. It is just impossible to kill all spores of mold that can be found in your house. Still, as soon as they cannot propagate without moist, reducing the level of dampness in your house you can prevent mold from propagating. If you do not control humidity inside your rooms, fungi will attack again. One of the most unpleasant ways of theirs is the ability of their spores to stay alive for a very long time. That is why for some people a fight with mold can turn into a lifelong competition.

Who Are the Most Vulnerable?

There are certain risk groups who have specific reactions to mold. They can experience a running nose, sneezing, reddened eyes and even skin rashes after inhaling air with mold spores or touching a colony. People who suffer from serious allergic reactions can be affected by more dangerous symptoms, for example, breathing problems. People who have asthma can experience severe fits of choking and cough. Babies and children, elderly people and those whose immune system is weakened by specific diseases like AIDS, cancer, liver issues, etc., people with lung diseases are much more vulnerable to the ruining effect of mold and fungi.

Short URL: https://www.global-updates.com/?p=743

Posted by on Feb 6 2013. Filed under Home Improvement. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed